If the US’s prohibition against cousin marriage predates modern genetics, it’s difficult to argue that there’s a medical reason to forbid these relationships.
In fact, over 93% of children of cousin couples will have no genetic defect whatsoever. So what’s with the stigma?
Join the conversation and share your story:
Because the more you intermarry the less biological diversity your family has and the more likely your children are to inherit diseases and mutations that run in your family? Like do you read? Also this is gross?
So, should people with known inheritable diseases be denied their rights to have sex? To marry? To reproduce?
Should any relationship someone else finds disgusting be discriminated against?
No. I have an inheritable disease.
1. I’ve always felt like I’d try my best to find someone who I loved who did not have similar genetics to mine so that my children would have a chance of not inheriting what I have. Failing that, I will not have children.
2. Take the dangerous genetic component out of the picture and let’s say the junk science posted by the OP was real for a moment. Even without the genetic risks this relationship dynamic is incredibly wrong. The potential for manipulation and unhealthy mental control and unhealthy dynamics here is so great. Adult relative and child relative especially? It’s sick. It’s absolutely sick.
3. I can’t believe I literally have to argue against incest. I literally cannot believe that there are people out there who are arguing for incest. What the fuck is wrong with you?
4. I will no longer waste my time arguing about why one should not commit incest. If you’re attracted to a member of your family, you are a pervert.
1. Good for you. That’s your choice. The overwhelming majority of births to consanguineous couples produce healthy children. And many people in these relationships have no plans to have children or couldn’t have children together anyway because they are the same gender or are too old. See here for more on this.
2. I’m not talking about adults abusing children or anyone else. I’m talking about consenting adults. It is entirely legal for a 21-year-old poor woman to marry a 60-year-old billionaire, or the President of the United States (if not married already) so the potential for manipulation is obviously not grounds to deny people their fundamental right to marry.
3. That’s not an argument. I can’t believe I’m having to argue for the rights of adults.
4. That’s not an argument. I will continue to stand up for the rights of ALL adults.
I’m still waiting for a good reason to deny consenting adults their fundamental right to share love, sex, residence, and marriage with any and all consenting adults. Those arguing against full marriage equality haven’t produced any, apparently.
Don’t want a consanguineous relationship? Don’t have one.
Perhaps I can add something, esseekay. It’s not like our arguments are new. Besides, it’s legal in many places, including cousin marriage, and I have yet to see France or Brazil start collapsing into rape and anarchy. Anyway, it’s not like the laws are always used for good.
I’m surprised how much certainty you have, given how little even scientists and psychologists know. And most of the couples I know of are really cute - many times it’s exactly like this. The opposition to these people is frequently unabashedly cruel. Even before the rise of homophobia, sibling couples were slowly roasted alive.
Besides, we’re talking first about cousin couples here, who can legally marry in a majority of the countries across the planet. Still, I’ve found that people who support same-sex marriage and trans* rights don’t always have a problem sounding like homophobic zealots, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. When it comes to hunting down consenting adults in romantic relationships, it all tends to sound the same.
It’s unfortunate, given that psychologists acknowledge that, under the right circumstances, it can happen to literally anyone… including you. Heaven forbid you ever meet an attractive, secret, illegitimate half-brother, or you might suddenly become a “pervert”.
The Final Manifesto nails it again.